College of Education's History and Background
Northeastern State University's College of Education is a national leader in preparing teachers and other professionals. Our roots are in teacher preparation and started with the founding of the Cherokee National Female Seminary in 1846, a fulfillment of a treaty stipulation that public and higher education be provided for the Cherokees. With the arrival of statehood, the State Legislature of Oklahoma passed an act providing for the creation and location of Northeastern State Normal School at Tahlequah in 1909. The educational program of the school consisted of four years of high school and two years of college level study.
The Normal School evolved to Northeastern State Teachers College in 1919 and established a four-year curriculum leading to the bachelor's degree. The College of Education broadened its curriculum in the 1950s with the implementation of a fifth-year program designed to prepare master teachers for elementary and secondary schools.
By the early 1970s, the institution's mission had broadened to include degree options in teacher education at both the baccalaureate and master's degree levels as well as degrees in wellness, fitness, and psychology. The College of Education offers degrees on all three NSU campuses: Tahlequah, Broken Arrow, and Muskogee.